The RLDC performs comprehensive evaluations to determine your child’s reading strengths and weaknesses, and screens for conditions that may affect reading and literacy. We provide a diagnosis as well as detailed recommendations and strategies for working with your child at home and in school. We also offer a resource hub at rldc.cchmc.org with information about reading and literacy.
WHO DO WE HELP?
The RLDC provides evaluations for children ages 6 years old through 8th grade who have trouble reading.
WHO PERFORMS THE EVALUATIONS?
A qualified educational diagnostician, speech-language pathologist or reading specialist will evaluate your child.
WHERE ARE THE EVALUATIONS?
Evaluations and consultations take place at Cincinnati Children’s. Please call 513-803-READ (7323) for available locations.
IS THERE A FEE FOR SERVICES?
There is a fee for our services. Scholarships are available. Please call 513-803-READ (7323) for fee and scholarship details.
What are the signs of a reading disorder?
· Family history of reading problems
· History of being a late talker
· Difficulty rhyming words
· Difficulty saying or writing the alphabet
· Difficulty remembering letter sounds
· Difficulty reading new words
· Slow, difficult reading and/or writing
· Difficulty answering questions about what was read
· Reading below grade level
· Difficulty writing ideas on paper